Wednesday 16 May 2018

Print Stuff

Print Stuff has been a bit of strange experience for me. Firstly, after undergoing surgery a couple of days prior to the actual event, I couldn't manage to attend the event as a stallholder or a customer, leaving me a bit out of the loop in terms of how the day went, set up, networking, and selling my own products alongside others. Secondly, from the feedback I got from the others in our collective, the Print Fair wasn't a huge success for us leaving me to question if I'd have fared better if I'd have been able to actually attend and weighing up the pros and cons of Print Fairs as a whole.


THOUGHTS:

Presentation:
In terms of table presentation, I understand that there were 5 of us displaying work collectivley and that space wasn't as adequate as it could have been, but I do think the space we did have could've been organised in a way that was a little more appealing. This is in NO WAY detriment to the girls who did attend and were running the stall, they did a fantastic job making everything work, maybe I'm just a bit pedantic over this kind of thing. I feel that some kind of crate for similar sized prints/zines, or a tiered stand would have worked well in utilising the space and maximising opportunities for display. Similarly, I think reserving space behind the stall to hang for similar products as opposed to a collection of everything could have worked well. This is something that I am specifically interested in though, and is not a dig at anybody in any kind of way.

Pricing: 
Whilst pricing my products I took a multitude of things into account such as medium, production, labour, longevity, and product type. I also took into account conversations had with peers, tutors and visiting professionals about pricing and therefore tried to price my work accordingly. I was disheartened to hear that some professionals and stallholders there seemed to be undervaluing their work my quite a large amount, leaving me quesitoning whether this was a problem with my prices, or a problem with under-pricing within the industry, something that a variety of lecturers and tutors have spoken about at length. 

What Sells and What Doesnt Sell: 

From conversations had with fellow stallholders, it seemed that wearable goods are very popular, alongside enamel pins which I know theres a huge market for at the minute. Product is something that I'm interested in so to hear that wearable goods such as tote bags, t-shirts etc and smaller accessories such as pin badges are appealing to buyers is reassuring for me in that I feel a little more confident to continue pushing my practice in this direction at some point. In terms of prints, they dont seem to sell as much but I think this just depends on the type of people your selling too and the type of product your selling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment