Wednesday 16 May 2018

First Commission

So, one of my favourite bands (that have quite a cult following and a large presence in their particular scene) put out a call on twitter a few weeks ago asking for visual artists/illustrators/designers to get in touch with their portfolio of work as they were looking for a selection of people to work on merch designs for the new album release and accompanying tour. I bit the bullet, thinking nothing would come of it and sent over an email with a link to my Instagram account, and somehow got a reply back.

I'm currently in the early stages of creating an image for a pullover hoodie that will be sold on an upcoming EU tour and have been in consistent contact with the person in charge of the bands visuals for the past few weeks. The brief itself fits me and my interests well, and it's a bonus that it's for a band that I respect and look up too. The design is mainly for the back of a hoodie with assests pulled out of that to create an emblem for the front of the jumper. The comission is paid, and payment is recieved before the final files are sent over.

Due to the work being for an upcoming album release, I'm not allowed to share a lot of information on what it is I'm working on or who it is that I'm working for. I'm finidng the experience incredibly positive and seem to be on the same wavelength as the person I'm in contact with in terms of how the design is progressing. I'm thoroughly looking forward to seeing this project through and seeing what can come of this. Merch design and working with music/bands is something I've been very interested in and I'm astounded that I'm breaking into that before I've even officially left uni.

No comments:

Post a Comment