Saturday 19 May 2018

Importance of Personal Projects

This year, the majority of my studio practice has been based around personal projects. I've found it a lot easier to work in this way, as I'm often more passionate about what I'm creating, more invested in the brief and the outcome, and usually happier with the direction the work takes.

Focusing on music mainly and dabbling in editorial has led me to develop and interest in layout and narrative within illustration as well as how image and audio can accompany and compliment each other. Through the development of personal projects, I've also managed to gain my first commission, which I don't think would've been as possible if I hadn't created the work I have this year.

I feel that after uni, my practice will mostly consist of personal projects that I can balance alongside other things that may be going on in my life, such as a job etc. These are some things that I'm planning on working on in the near future as a way to continue my practice and develop as a professional.

Future Projects:

Zines - Although production may be slightly more difficult, I want to embrace the full DIY nature of zines and begin to explore this as a process and a way of storytelling. I'm particularly interested in perzines and the concept of diary zines and feel that this will allow me to be honest within my practice, whilst providing a cathartic outlet for me in the coming months

Home - This project has been dancing around my head for a few months, but I've not really had the confidence to bring it to fruition. Home would be a print based project, focusing on the concept and interpretation of home, whether that be for me or for other people. 

Research Led Project - Whilst working on a zine earlier this year based around the collection of items at The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic, I rediscovered my passion for learning alongside creating and this is something I want to bring more of into my practice. I'm interested in mildly morbid and unusual history and feel bringing this into my work in form of print series or small publications could be something I benefit from

Products - Once I've found a steady way to be able to print goods, I will be looking into expanding my practice onto a range of products. I made some totebags this year and got a lot of satisfaction seeing my work on an actual thing rather than just a piece of paper. I want to expand on this by adding more fabric goods to my catalogue of stock and also look at producing fabric wall hanging pennants with screenprinted designs. 

Folklore/Mythology - Following on from the cryptid brief I'm currently finishing off for 603, I'd like to expand this series into a few different sections, looking at other weird and wacky folk stories or mythological beings. This is something I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about and have produced interesting imagery for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment