Saturday 19 May 2018

DIY Press

For a while I've been considering how I'll continue creating work/products once uni has ended and print resources aren't as readily available. I've got two solid options in mind in regards still being able to screenprint my own stock.


Leeds Print Workshop:
- Offer facilities for intaglio processes, relief printing and screen printing for fabric and paper
- £45 a year membership and an additional £3 an hour when using the facilities (induction included)
- Inks and paper are available to purchase although you can take your own 
- Option to rent a planchest drawer at a small cost
- Good way to keep involved with the local creative community/meet new people

Screenprint Kit:
- £70 to buy a tabletop kit including screen, squegee, inks, paper and fabric medium, screen block and drawing emulsion
- Can work from that comfort of home and be self-sufficient in this way
- One off large cost and then top up costs of additional inks, replacement medium, paper etc
- Maybe slightly more expensive to start with but allows me full access whenever I need

Going down either of these routes would be beneficial to me and my practice. After a discussion during a one-to-one tutorial about plans for after uni, I've really started to think about how I could make small printed goods and approach local buisnesses in terms of stocking and selling my products. As well as this, I'd still easily be able to create stock to sell online and at print fairs etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment