Wednesday 8 March 2017

Print Processes

504 really taught me a lot about how to use print as a way to enhance my work. I spent a lot of first year trying to produce things that were 'handmade'. I know realise that this can encompass printing as well as just drawing and trying to produce work in that sense. I'm really keen on all of the different print processes I encountered in 504, monotype, lino and screen printing, and started to clearly see how I can work across these processes in order to push my work a little further.

I like the messiness of monotype, it gives off a raw, busy kind of vibe. It links up a lot with the hand drawn, line based imagery that is a part of my practice. The only thing is it's a little difficult too do. It's hard drawing things backwards, the paper moves a lot, finger prints are inevitable. BUT I feel that this adds to the uniqueness of this style of printing. It is messy, it is kind of spontaneous. I feel that it's something I'd like to explore a little more, and possibly see how I can cross this method of printing into others, such as screen printing.

Lino Printing has also been something that I've been really drawn too. I like the sharpness of the lines, the precision and the texture that can be achieved via different ways of printing the lino. I also like the kind of woodcut/etched style that comes along with printing lino. Don't get me wrong, printing lino with colour looks great but I love just solid black lino printing. It's so bold. This coupled with screen printing your end results allows for overprinting, the addition of colour, and other elements to further add to the end image. 






SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment