Sunday 20 November 2016

Nomi Chi

I recently found Nomi Chi while having a quick look on Juxtapoz and she is stupid good at everything I wish I could be good at. Naomi is a Canadian Illustrator and Tattooist based in Vancouver. Inspired by nature, esoterica and the macabre, her illustration practice is quite surreal with hand drawn and painted features throughout.

- I love the quality of line used in more of her line base images, theres a great attention to detail in Nomi's work especially within her characters and animal based illustrations 

- I also really like her use of shape. I tend to avoid shape as I feel it's too blocky for me and I can't communicate enough through a lack of detail but I really like how she's used the shape of the rabbit and then worked back into it to add more detail 

- Colours aren't my favourite and I struggle to work with them sometimes but Nomi's work incorporates mostly soft pastel tones in a way thats not too overpowering to the artwork. 

- Spot images are great, everyone loves a nicely composed illustration of some scenery or landscape but I seem to be a little more drawn to images that work well as stand alone pieces. Sometimes less is more. 
- Nomi's creative talent extends into her tattooing practice aswell, both have their similarities and differences and in an interview I was reading Nomi explains that her illustration practice is more of a personal outlet where as her tattooing practice has to be more structured than the work she makes in her free time 

- I've been really interested in tattoo's and tattooing for a few years now and it wasn't until the last year or so that I've started to consider this as something I might like to gain some experience in and possibly turn into a career, it's nice to see that there are other people out there that had a similar ambition/interest and to see how their work is evolving 

- All in all, a really cool gal with really great work

No comments:

Post a Comment