Tuesday 8 December 2015

OUIL402 Study Task 2 - What Do I Want To Know? What Am I Going To Do?

10 questions I want to find the answers to as part of my degree

1. How do I network effectively with other creatives? 
I want to learn how to present myself and my work to other creatives and professionals and in turn make strong connections within Illustration as an industry. To do this I expect to learn a variety of skills that will help make networking a little bit easier and I will also try to build contacts through attending as many extra-curricular events and activities as possible.

2. What career options are available after graduation?
I want to know what career options are available to me after graduating and what I can expected as a newly graduated Illustrator. I will answer this question by researching different careers and career paths and also speaking to graduates. I will also be constantly reflecting on my practical work to see what I enjoy most and what methods I enjoy working with most, as well as trying to figure out what kind of Illustration I want to be making. 

3. How should I present myself as an Illustrator online? 
I want to learn how I should present myself online in order to attract interest in my work and to help me build a name for myself and a client base. I want to know how I get my work noticed online, and what kinds of social media platforms I should be using to do this. To find the answer to this I will be investigating the different types of creative platforms that I can use to share my work with others.

4. How do I develop my own visual signature without limiting myself? 
I want to be able to have a strong sense of identity as an Illustrator by the time I finish the course, or at least be on the right path to finding that sense of identity. Saying this, I still want to be able to work flexibly, to a variety of different briefs, using a variety of tools and materials. I will answer this question by exploring the different briefs we are given and the different materials I will be working with to their fullest potential, and realising how to bend and flex them to my own style/visual signature.

5. How do I gain confidence in my work? 
I want to learn how to be more confident in myself and mainly in my work, it has always been something I have struggled with, especially in terms of group contribution and speaking in front of an audience. To overcome this I am going to try and push my worries aside and engage regularly in group discussion and try and be a participating member of the group.

6. How do I improve my technical skills? 
I want to be able to use digital tools a lot more confidently as this is an area I haven't really explored before and one that I often shy away from. To improve my technical skills I am going to have to confront the media that I'm not comfortable with using yet and attend workshops/sessions that deal with this area of Illustration as well as trying to find some spare time to practice at home.

7. How do I stay organised and on top of my workload? 
I want to improve my time-management skills over the duration of this course, being able to keep up with the workload and meet deadlines on time consistently. To do this I will make sure I attend all sessions to make sure I am not falling behind on work and also keep my blog up to date and have blog posts completed on time.

8. How do I stay motivated and passionate about Illustration without loosing interest?
I want to know how I can keep myself motivated and passionate about Illustration in an industry that is so competitive and that is usually filled with briefs and deadlines. I want to know how I can still love doing what I do and how to effectively turn that into a career without loosing my drive. I will do this by constantly opening myself up to new things, new experiences, new illustrators and image makers, new ways of looking at the world around me, new techniques and new materials. I will keep my passion for Illustration by becoming more involved with everything around me. 

9. What are the different fields of Illustration and which one is right for me? 
I want to know more about the different paths Illustration can take you down and whether I am suited to one of those particular areas or whether I can branch out into a few different ones. To do this I want to try and fully explore most different areas of Illustration e.g. editorial, book illustration etc, and figure out where my interests lie and which path is right for me to follow.

10. Am I good enough? Am I cut out for the creative industry or have I bitten off more than I can chew? 
I constantly question my own self worth and my creative ability and constantly compare myself to others. I think the only way I can really answer this question is to push myself as far as I can. I should be producing work and images that I am proud of and happy to show off to the world but I should also be producing work that isn't as good, work that I can reflect on and learn from. I want to know whether I have the strength in myself and the belief in my work to make it in the creative field, but I guess the only way I'm going to know this is if I push myself to do my best.


No comments:

Post a Comment